In order to form beautiful and harmoniously developed leg muscles, it is necessary to include hip biceps exercises in training. Together with pumped-up, elastic buttocks, the back surface of the hips provides an effective fit of trousers and is largely responsible for a sporty, toned silhouette. These muscles are involved in many basic exercises that need to be supplemented with insulating for the correct emphasis.
Exercises for the back of the thigh deserve serious attention. As a rule, most of the trainees are limited only to bending their legs on the simulator and traction with straight legs, but recently an expanded set of exercises has become more widespread.
The anatomical role and features of the biceps muscle
Thigh biceps are antagonist muscles relative to quadriceps, whose main function is static. The biceps femoris muscle provides the ability to bend the leg in the knee joint, turn outward, and unbend it in the hip joint. It consists of short and long heads that form the bulge of the posterior surface of the thigh and partially the hollow of the inner surface.
An important feature of the hip biceps is its tendency to shorten. This leads not only to an inharmonious development of the muscles of the back surface, but often also to pain during bending forward or raising straight legs to an angle of 90 °. To avoid this and ensure a beautiful muscle architecture, your workout must include stretching exercises.
Features of hip biceps training
Most thigh biceps exercises also involve the gluteal muscles and partially quadriceps, so it makes sense to make a general training for the legs, based on basic exercises and supplemented with isolating ones for the biceps. Such an approach will ensure the correct and uniform development of the hips, without shifting the emphasis to any part of them.
Effective and proper leg training is, ideally, strength training, so picking up good exercises for hip biceps at home is quite difficult. For basic exercises, a barbell or dumbbell is required, and isolating is problematic to perform without simulators.
Basic Exercises for Biceps
Exercises for the biceps of the thigh, which will be discussed, are equally suitable for both female and male training, however, there are some nuances in the performance on which the result depends.
Dead or Romanian traction is one of the basic exercises with a barbell, which, among other things, works well on the hip biceps, effectively working out and stretching it. It differs from classical traction in that, when performing, the athlete does not bend his knees (or bends slightly due to his anatomical features) when he bends over the barbell lying on the floor and lifts it. It is associated with high injuries, so the right technique is the key to the safety and health of an athlete.
- A straight back without rounding and deflection is a guarantee of her health. Deflection can lead to displacement of the vertebrae;
- The feet are parallel and stand about shoulder width or narrower;
- The movement begins with the abduction of the pelvis back – only in this way, and not due to leaning forward, the body is bent;
- The arms are straight and lowered down, during flexion and extension the bar should be as close to the legs as possible, practically slide over them – this gives the maximum effect of muscle stretching and elaboration of the hip biceps;
- At the upper point, it is advisable to twist the pelvis up and squeeze the buttocks.
Less effective, but still effective exercises for training the back of the thigh are the good old lunges. The advantage is that they can be done at home. The correct long attack allows you to connect not only the quadriceps, for which this exercise is performed most often, but also the biceps. Perform best with weights, that is, with dumbbells or barbell.
- Starting position: straight stance, legs together, hands on hips, body weight transferred to the heels.
- Lift the right leg and point the heel forward.
- As you exhale, take a wide step, stretching out, as if trying to step over a puddle.
- After touching the floor with your foot, bend your knees so that the right thigh is parallel to the floor, and the left is perpendicular. The left leg is on the toe.
- Push off with your right foot and return to the starting position
Thigh Biceps Isolation Exercise
Isolating exercises – this is an opportunity to refine, “finish off” exactly the muscle that is needed. To complete a good training of the back of the thigh, leg curls in the simulator and a special type of hyperextension are well suited.
Bending the legs in the simulator lying down is one of the isolating exercises that maximize the biceps muscle. The execution technique is quite simple, and the result is always impressive:
- Starting position – on the simulator face down. The legs are fixed with a roller in the region of the ankle joint;
- It is important to press the body to the bench and not tear it off while moving – this will avoid injuries;
- The movements are slow and smooth. The use of inertia will reduce the efforts of the athlete to zero;
- At the lower point, the knees are not fully extended, the legs are always tense.
Usually, hyperextension is performed during training of the back, but it can be slightly modified and added to the training of the buttocks and biceps. Hyperextension for the biceps of the thigh differs in that the pillows of the machine are not installed at the level of the pelvic bones, but at the level of the upper part of the quadriceps. Otherwise, the execution technique does not change:
- The back is straight, arms crossed on the chest or clasped behind the head;
- Buttocks are compressed, forward bending is performed slowly and smoothly, without jerking and swinging.
The movement is short, but completely focused on the biceps of the thigh. This exercise gives a noticeable effect even when others do not bring the desired result.
Caution should be exercised when performing leg exercises in general and hip biceps in particular for people with diseases of the spine, knee or hip joints. The right technique and the selection of a suitable working weight are the priority tasks before starting serious training.